Public Summary: Management Plan and Monitoring
A land resource organization, The Westervelt Company is committed to preserving land for future generations. Our business pursuits meet or exceed environmental, legal, and regulatory requirements, and robustly pursue new practices that embody our sustainability mission.
Our timber-management practices include: streamside-management zones to improve water quality, immediate replanting to ensure a sustainable forest, continual forest management, and wildlife enhancement with on-staff biologists.
The Westervelt Company plants millions of trees each year, harvests only in small compartments, and is the only major industrial landowner to be recognized by the Alabama Forestry Commission for pioneering forest management techniques, wildlife enrichment efforts, and conservation practices.
Our manufacturing facilities maintain the highest emissions standards for air and water quality.
We are committed to:
- Minimizing the greenhouse gas emissions from our business operations.
- Protecting and enhancing watershed quality on company owned, leased, or managed lands and reducing our water usage where possible.
- Improving habitat quality wherever we operate.
- Managing our renewable resources in a sustainable and environmentally sound manner.
- Improving the efficiency of our energy consumption.
- Seeking ways to use renewable energy sources.
- Working with our government and regulatory agencies, customers, suppliers, and associates to mutually improve our environment.
Our forestry management efforts and the Southern Yellow Pine wood products we manufacture have earned certification to the Forest Stewardship Council (FSC®) and the Sustainable Forestry Initiative (SFI®) standards.